Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Trouble with eBay

It seems so simple. List your items and wait for someone to bid on them. What could be easier?

Well, that's what I thought until I actually listed some items on eBay: yarn I knew I would never use but it was too good to just donate to Goodwill, some out of print Barbie patterns, a Vera Bradley bag that I actually had bought on eBay (and foolishly didn't realize how big it was). Nothing Earth shattering. Then the wait for bids. In some cases, that wait was fruitless. Then the wait for payment, and as a new seller, even after the buyer paid, I have to wait until PayPal deems I'm not a con artist. And still waiting for payments.

But I have learned to be more specific in where I'll ship-US only. I've sent care packages to my brother overseas and filling out the customs form is no fun. I'm not a business; this isn't supposed to be a hassle for me. Since I don't get paid right away, it would mean shelling out for overseas postage then waiting for three weeks to get re-imbursed. At $40+ dollars to send a Priority Mail package to Great Britain, that's a not insignificant chunk o' change, and again, neither fun nor something I'm going to do.

So as soon as my yarn sells, or doesn't sell, my days as an eBay seller are done.

On a brighter note, I did buy some yarn, Nature Spun sportweight in a light brown, similar to the fingering weight wool I had previously bought. Maybe a scarf and glove set? 

Bargain of the day is three books from Goodwill: a Fannie Flagg novel, true story about Pat Tillman, and a true crime (my favorite type of book!). At $0.99 each, less the 15% "senior citizen" discount, it's a real bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment